Thursday, August 13, 2009

Two sides of a medal

This evening I decided to ride home through the woods and over the fields - instead of cycling besides the streets - in order to come down from a long working day. I passed an old barn in the middle of nowhere. Last year in autumn I read an advertisement on this barn's door: reserve your St. Martin's goose now! Today there I saw a huge enclosement with some dozens of geese eating, walking over the green grass or just lying in the evening sun.
As I am a vegetarian and I really love animals, my first though was: Damn! Those poor geese won't live to see this winter or next spring. Not considering reality for a moment I really wanted to save them... perhaps by buying all the future St. Martin's roast geese until they are still alive. But where to keep a bunch of goose?
The second thought was then: these geese are somehow lucky - compared to other geese vegetating in narrow, dirty boxes perhaps even fattened in order to kill them soon to produce foie gras. Compared to them those geese I saw have a short but species-appropriate life.

And in my point of view this goose story is only an example of so many things in life that have two sides: a sad one and a lucky one. A serious and an easy one. - The art is to recognise both and to decide which one is the more powerful for oneself.

Do you have any thoughts on this topic you want to share?

2 comments:

rostlaube55 said...

I think it`s a very good story.
The geese are happy. They can run over the field.
And I do not have to eat them.

I will say, in my uncomplete and bad English, I can understand.
Don't let it trouble you.
rostlaube 55

C. L. said...

Hi rostlaube55, I don't worry about the geese that much. I think they had a nice summer. For me it's enough that I myself do not eat them. So they hadn't to die for me. Wombat1983